January 6-31, 2020 | 4 Weeks | $197 USD
REGISTER BY CONTACTING NICOLE (AT) NICOLEBREIT.COM
3 SESSION BUNDLE
Origin Stories + The Emergent Self + The Body
January | February | March
FEE: $447 USD
Origin Stories Only
FEE: $197 USD
Cultural origin stories are creation myths that explain how the universe came to be.
Origin stories appear in personal storytelling, too. They are the narratives we construct to explain how we landed where we are.
This fertile ground – our origins, beginnings + firsts — is where we’ll uncover fresh new stories this month.
If the question that initiates our quest is: Where do our stories begin? let’s investigate new questions as we write:
Where do I/we go now?
Can I/we reconcile the past?
How will I/we set ourselves free?
WHO IS IT FOR?
Spark your Story was designed for beginning and experienced life writers who want to:
- generate new stories (+ a ton of new ideas!)
- learn essential skills to quickly improve first drafts
- explore exciting new approaches to storytelling
- understand the power of story at a deeper level
- nurture a healthier relationship with their writing
- discover a powerful process for drafting their best work
- learn how to develop an emerging work-in-progress
- develop a productive long-term writing practice
As we explore our Origin Stories over the course of 4 weeks we’ll:
- Brainstorm a list of transformational origin stories
- Assess the story potential of our raw material in a freewrite
- Journal to tap memories, gain insight into what our stories need, and reflect on discoveries in the writing process
- Draft new work that brings our story ideas together with experimental storytelling structures
- Observe how key elements of life writing (moments of change, effective language, vivid imagery) are at work in our assigned readings, our own work, and each other’s projects
- Notice what is emerging in each other’s work and suggested next steps in a story exchange
By the end of the session writers will have practiced an approach to life writing that increases creativity, builds greater trust and confidence in the writing process, and nurtures a healthier relationship to their work.
Week One: Beginnings
What kinds of stories will be explore under the vast subject of beginnings and firsts — our Origin Stories? Let’s share ideas about the stories we want to write, complete some freewriting exercises to narrow down our ideas, and begin drafting a series of micro-essays – one of which we’ll polish to 100 words to share in our hub (and celebrate!).
Week Two: Short Form Explorations
This week we’ll practice observing what is emerging in each other’s 100-word essays (and bask in the positive feedback!). We’ll learn about various essay formats and take in a reading + Q and A with author Deborah Elderhorst. We’ll come up with ten new story ideas for our origin story material, share our 1000-word project intention with our hub, and start drafting!
Week Three: 1,000 Word Story Quest
We’ll share our 1,000 word Origin Story essays with a partner, and follow guidelines for attentive noticing as part of a positive feedback exchange. After returning essays with comments, writers will select a brief passage from their partner’s piece to post, point outing three elements that are serving the piece well. We’ll practice the art of re-vision, incorporating changes and additions to our works in progress.
Week Four: Root Stories
In our last week together we’ll reflect on our progress — and where we’ll go next with our life writing. Writers will be invited to share the opening and closing sections of their revised piece for discussion and exploration. We’ll delve deeper into how we live by our narratives in a video tutorial on Root Stories. We’ll celebrate our accomplishments and draw the winner of our session challenge!
WHAT IS SPARK YOUR STORY?
I’m Nicole Breit, creator of Spark Your Story—a unique program for new, emerging, and experienced life writers who want to tell their stories with greater ease and confidence.
Transformative life writing is the heart centre of Spark Your Story, an approach that invites writers to pinpoint life-changing moments and explore the impact of their experiences.
Writer, if you’re here, you’re ready. Let’s spark your story!
What Writers Are Saying
“I feel like Nicole has started a CNF revolution, bringing new forms and new voices together.”Rowan McCandless
“I’ve had many writing teachers, but Nicole is the only one I consider a mentor.”Rachel Laverdiere
“I highly recommend exploring these exciting forms with Nicole as your guide.”Abby Palmer